What do you need to know about extension cords
It’s that time of year when we are digging through the garage, looking for the extension cords we’ll need to deck the halls. Lighting up the night sky with twinkling lights and giant waving snowmen is a fun tradition and each year, neighbors try to outdo one another in good holiday spirit. This year, before you start lighting up your home, you need to know these extension cord dos and don’ts so you can be safe this year. An electrician in Mississauga has compiled a list of tips to help keep you safe. You can call BX Electrical for more information if you have more questions.
1. Don’t place cords in high traffic areas. You are asking for trouble. The cords may end up tripping someone or they will be walked on and potentially crushed or damaged, causing a serious electric hazard.
2. Don’t use indoor cords outside. Round cords that have heavy insulation are suitable for outdoors. Flat cords have no insulation and should not be used outside explains a Mississauga electrician.
3. Do check cords before you plug them in. Make sure the cord is in tact and there is no damage at any point.
4. Don’t use cords that are damaged. Wrapping electric tape around a damaged cord is not a solution. Toss the cord and use a new one.
5. Do use GFCI outlets with your cords. If you don’t have these, they can be installed by an electrician. Mississauga homeowners will appreciate the layer of safety these outlets add.
6. Do keep the cords away from water—even the cords rated for outdoor use. Buy a longer cord if needed to go around the pool or hot tub.
Decorating your home for the holidays is fun and temporary. Extension cords are not meant to be a permanent fixture. If you need more outlets, give BX Electrical a call today.